Bacterial vaginosis or BV is a common scourge that affects most women at some point in their lives. It is a vaginal infection that invades the tissues of the vagina causing redness, soreness, extreme itching, burning, discharge and discomfort while urinating.
Doctors usually prescribe antibiotics for treating this infection caused by bacteria, initially. Sometimes antibiotics don’t work because the bacteria that cause bacterial vaginosis do not respond well to them.
This is why there is an ongoing search for a safe and effective natural treatment that can treat this infection effectively and without any side effects.
Some of the most effective remedies for BV and for a number of vaginal infections that often plague women, making their life painful, are probiotics. These are basically live bacteria that are beneficial to health. They are present in the gut and help digest food and improve nutrition.
Not only do probiotic supplements help treat vaginal infections like BV and bloat, but can also prevent the recurrence of these issues. They can also help women get a healthy, bad bacteria-free vagina that smells clean and looks good!
Research on probiotics for treating vaginal infections
The trend of using probiotic supplements for effectively treating vaginal infections that are caused due to changes in vaginal pH or the alkaline/acidic balance is caused by promising research that is fairly recent.
So how do probiotic supplements really help in curbing and curing vaginal bacterial infections?
To answer this we need to start with what is called the vaginal microbiome.
Actually, the vaginal microbiome of a woman is all the tiny organisms that live inside her vagina. The most common type of vaginal microorganism is a type of bacteria called lactobacilli. It is a good guy as it keeps the vagina healthy. When a woman does not maintain hygiene there or has unprotected sex, undergoes hormonal changes or has her period, the bad bacteria can multiply and cause BV.
This can also lead to other infections like yeast infections and trichomoniasis.
So the probiotic supplements work by boosting the good bacteria, lactobacilli.
Once there is enough of these good bacteria, they fight off the bad bacteria in the vagina, and the woman does not get a vaginal infection.
It’s that simple!
Now that we know how probiotic supplements and products work, here is a list of the best 3 probiotic supplements that you can take for keeping the numbers of good bacteria up in your vagina and your gut, and also to treat BV, the most common vaginal infection in women.
You will get all the information you need to treat your vaginal infection right here. Do keep in mind that the products that are being discussed here are available both over-the-counter and by prescription only!
Apart from the brands you can safely go for, we have also included precious information on how each probiotic supplement or product works here.
So read on for information that you may need at any time.
1. Yourbiology Gut+ – Best Probiotics For Vaginal Health (Best Choice)
This is a live-strain probiotic. This means that the live strain of the beneficial bacteria is used in this food supplement.
The formula contains 10 Probiotic strains of bacteria, 3 digestive enzymes and 2
Prebiotics. The total CFU count, a unit for calculating the total number of bacteria that are present in a supplement, is 20 billion. The supplement is vegan and includes Vitamin D3.
The supplement comes with a 60-day, money-back guarantee.
Benefits of Yourbiology Gut+
- This is a probiotic that has been crafted by one of the best brands in the space of women’s health.
- This is the first probiotic made just for women.
- It delivers a supreme punch of 10 diverse strains of good gut bacteria like lactobacillus that deliver 20 billion units also called CFUs of friendly bacteria to make both your gut and vaginal microbiome healthy.
- The probiotic strains in this supplement have been studied and validated in numerous scientific research papers for the ability to repopulate your gut and vagina, both with the best bacterial strains.
- It contains prebiotic fiber and added Vitamin D3, which most women are deficient in.
- It contains more than 3 digestive enzymes for good digestion for preventing bloat, distention of the belly and indigestion.
- The supplement comes in vegan capsules and not gelatin ones. How this helps is that the vegan coat can brave the long trek to your gut or the small intestine. The gelatin coating dissolves much earlier, wasting the precious probiotic bacteria and digestive enzymes.
- The formula also contains prebiotics for their ability to nourish probiotic live bacteria contained in Yourbiology Gut+ after the long journey to your gut.
- All of these wonderful ingredients help you by reducing your stress levels, reducing weight, as a better poop cycle helps get rid of all the extra heavy poop accumulated in your large intestine.
- You feel lighter and happier.
- You rarely experience bloat.
- The good bacteria in the supplement travel to your vagina and repopulate it with beneficial strains that kill the bad bacteria that are causing vaginal infections like BV.
- You also get dewy, glowing skin when you are on this probiotic.
- The supplement balances the pH environment in your vagina.
- You experience less vaginal infections.
- You also get fewer urinary tract infections or UTIs.
- Your brain feels sharper and calmer.
- It is also an excellent support for your immune system.
- The supplement uses the MAKtrek Bypass Technology which allows the probiotic bacteria to reach the gut after bypassing the stomach acid.
How does this supplement work?
Yourbiology Gut+ is your go-to probiotic for vaginal and gut health because it contains four strains of good bacteria. These are all clinically proven strains of good bacteria too.
They fight the imbalance of good vs. bad bacteria which causes bacterial infections in the vagina and gut.
- lactobacillus acidophilus- it helps balance good gut and vaginal bacteria. Reduces IBS symptoms and regulates the acid levels in the vagina and the gut. Higher pH levels make the vagina more prone to bacterial infections.
- bifidobacterium breve- has been shown to reduce body fat.
- lactobacillus plantarum- helps reduce stomach cramps, bloating, indigestion and upset. Helps with bowel movement.
- lactobacillus paracasei- reduces inflammation in the gut. Increases skin glow.
- lactobacillus fermentum- strengthens immunity.
- saccharomyces boulardii- reduces inflammation in the large intestine.
- lactobacillus casei- reduces constipation.
- bifidobacterium bifidum- eliminates gas and bloating.
- bifidobacterium longum- strengthens immunity.
- lactobacillus rhamnosus- prevents the leaky gut syndrome.
We are sure that you must be confused about the term CFU, here’s what it means.
CFUs or colony-forming units show the quantity of live bacteria in a formula. Yourbiology Gut+ contains 20 billion CFUs of the ten above-mentioned strains of good bacteria. As soon as they reach the vagina, these give support in redressing the balance of good vs. bad bacteria.
So, your vaginal and gut health both improve and fast!
You don’t need to refrigerate this formula and it comes to you at an incredible price of $59.99 for a month’s supply. You are also safe as you can return the product within 60 days and get your money back!
2. Biotics 8 – Best Probiotics For BV
Biotics 8 by Bauer Nutrition is a probiotic for gut and vaginal health. The supplement contains a large number of good bacterial strains that get to the gut and vagina to repopulate them with good bacteria to stop vaginal infections and bloat forever!
- It helps reduce gas and bloating
- It helps strengthen immunity
- It contains 10 Probiotic strains of live bacteria, 3 digestive enzymes and Chicory root prebiotic fiber.
- The total CFU count, a unit for calculating the total number of bacterial cells in a supplement, is 20 million.
- The supplement contains Chicory root prebiotic fiber for a good bowel movement and also contains Vitamin D3.
It contains 10 strains of good probiotic bacteria. A few major ones are-
- L. acidophilus and L. Rhamnosus – both of these are very good at treating constipation and diarrhea
- B. longum and B. Breve – both of them support the gut microbiome
How does it work?
This probiotic supplement uses the power of the prebiotics- inulin, FOS, and acacia fiber to act as sustenance for probiotics. This allows them to live and grow within your gut and vagina.
The 10 good bacterial strains reduce bloat and inflammation in the gut. They also improve immunity, help you lose weight and also make your skin glow.
There is no special delivery system in this supplement, but the chicory root fiber helps the probiotic bacteria to go down into the gut to do the work!
Biotics 8 is shelf stable as it doesn’t need any refrigeration. This means you can safely carry it in your gym bag. It is a simple-to-use supplement.
It’s priced at $64.99 for 90 capsules (a one-month supply) with discounts on bulk purchases.
3. Performance Lab Prebiotic
This is a Prebiotic formula for your gut and vaginal health. It supports your gut health by nourishing your gut microbiome with probiotic-boosting nutrients.
The supplement does not contain any probiotics as the above two supplements do. On the other hand, Performance Lab Prebiotic contains some kickass ingredients that boost the probiotic bacterium in your gut.
It specifically boosts the highly beneficial Bifidobacterium probiotics in your gut.
- It helps promote digestive health
- It makes you clean your gut regularly
- It promotes gut wellbeing
- It also supports a healthy immune system
- And helps your body boost its nutritional status
- It helps improve energy levels
- It helps you lose weight
- It helps stop gas formation
- It is easy to use- just take 3 capsules daily
The main ingredient in this supplement is Inulin-FOS from chicory root. This is an advanced gut health support system that is research-backed and produced in a clean facility to deliver the highest quality of gut health benefits.
It is also non-GMO and contains no caffeine, synthetic additives, and gluten.
How it works
Inulin and FOS soluble fiber complex derived from chicory root has excellent prebiotic properties. What this complex does is that it delivers the good bacterial strains found in this formula to the gut.
This complex also feeds the Bifidobacterium strain that is found naturally in the gut. This strain adheres to the intestinal lining treating the leaky gut issue and also killing the bad bacteria.
By stimulating the robust growth of indigenous Bifidobacterium, the formula delivers robust digestive support.
What is extremely important to know is that the Performance Lab® Prebiotic does not add any probiotics to your gut, but improves gut and vaginal health by promoting the indigenous bacteria already present there.
This product is marked clean, potent, pure and sustainable.
It is also backed by research-backed ingredients.
It is ‘Go for Performance Nutrition’ to up your life.
It is also a vegan and completely transparent product.
Its shelf life is also longer than other supplements as there are no live strains of bacteria in it and Performance Lab Prebiotic costs you just $ 44.00 for a one-month supply.
Probiotics vs. Prebiotics
Live microorganisms called probiotics offer health advantages upon consumption. Prebiotics are indigestible substances that serve as nourishment for beneficial bacteria. Schleiger says they help nourish and promote probiotic growth. Prebiotics serve as a nourishing environment for beneficial gut bacteria without being alive.
Schleiger notes that fermented foods contain probiotics, while fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and legumes contain prebiotics. She says that inulin, fructooligosaccharides (FOS), and galactooligosaccharides (GOS) are some common examples of prebiotics. These substances resist enzymatic breakdown, pass through the digestive system, and undergo fermentation by gut bacteria in the colon.
Who Should Use Probiotics?
Probiotics have benefits for many individuals, according to Schleiger. If you have digestive issues, take antibiotics, have vaginal health concerns, a weakened immune system, or common mental health concerns like anxiety and depression, you should consider using them.
Schleiger states that probiotics are advantageous for pregnant or breastfeeding women. Consult a healthcare provider before using probiotics during pregnancy or breastfeeding to support digestion, lower the chance of gestational diabetes, and potentially prevent eczema in infants.
Individual responses to probiotics can vary, and the benefits may not be the same for everyone. Seek advice from a healthcare professional before beginning probiotic use, particularly if you have health conditions or concerns.
Probiotic Side Effects
Some individuals may encounter minor digestive symptoms initially upon commencing probiotics, despite their intended purpose of enhancing gut health. Possible symptoms include gas, bloating, or abdominal pain. “These symptoms typically disappear as the body adapts to the use of probiotics,” she explains.
Some individuals may experience rare allergic reactions to certain strains of probiotics, as she points out. If you have severe reactions while taking a probiotic, seek immediate medical attention for symptoms like itching, swelling, rash, or difficulty breathing.
Appropriate Time to Consult a Physician
Consult a doctor or health care professional prior to or while consuming probiotics if you are:
- Pregnant or breastfeeding
- For child or infant consideration
- Dealing with an undisclosed health issue such as a long-term ailment or compromised immunity.
- Experiencing an allergic reaction
- Experiencing severe symptoms such as intense abdominal pain, prolonged diarrhea, or high fever
Probiotics improve gut and vaginal health with live microorganisms. They can assist with anxiety, depression, and enhance immunity. They generally have few or minor side effects and can promote overall well-being.
Which probiotic, do we think, is best for BV?
We think that Yourbiology Gut+ is an excellent probiotic supplement. Not only does it contain 10 live strains of probiotic bacteria, but it also has an excellent delivery method. It is the best probiotic product on the market to keep your vagina in prime condition.
It can also keep UTIs away and make you feel happy and light by making you poop regularly and keeping your gut healthy.
How should you choose the best probiotic for your gut and vaginal health?
This is a tough question as there are so many options. Here are a few pointers-
- Look at how many live strains of probiotic bacteria does the product have
- See what is the delivery mechanism
- Note the CFUs. These are the bacterial colony-forming units. The higher the CFU count, the better the product.
- See which bacteria are present by checking the label. Bifidobacteria and lactobacilli should both be present.
- Then delve into the shelf life and storage of the product. Check if it needs refrigeration. If it does, it may not be for you!
- Also, do go for a good Brand that adheres to good manufacturing practices. See if the product is endorsed by a physician.
- Price is another issue that needs consideration. Always buy after comparing prices of similar products.
So, here was a rundown of the best probiotic supplements for your vaginal and gut health.
The best probiotics for vaginal health as per this review are:
Choose the one that suits your body and makes you feel awesome. Listen to your body first and let it be your guide always!
Top 5 Supplements To Relieve IBS Diarrhea & Constipation
Note- This article is written by Brand Desk.